From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2014 20:04:57 -0400
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24731910

QUOTE

Complement Ther Med. 2014 Apr;22(2):371-390.
doi: 10.1016/j.ctim.2013.12.016. Epub 2014 Jan 6.

Effectiveness of animal-assisted therapy: A systematic review of
randomized controlled trials.

Kamioka H1, Okada S2, Tsutani K3, Park H4, Okuizumi H5, Handa S5,
Oshio T6, Park SJ2, Kitayuguchi J7, Abe T7, Honda T8, Mutoh Y9.

Author info [removed, see web link]

Abstract
The objectives of this review were to summarize the evidence from
randomized controlled trials (RCTs) on the effects of animal-assisted
therapy (AAT). Studies were eligible if they were RCTs. Studies
included one treatment group in which AAT was applied. We searched the
following databases from 1990 up to October 31, 2012: MEDLINE via
PubMed, CINAHL, Web of Science, Ichushi Web, GHL, WPRIM, and PsycINFO.
We also searched all Cochrane Database up to October 31, 2012. Eleven
RCTs were identified, and seven studies were about "Mental and
behavioral disorders". Types of animal intervention were dog, cat,
dolphin, bird, cow, rabbit, ferret, and guinea pig. The RCTs conducted
have been of relatively low quality. We could not perform meta-analysis
because of heterogeneity. In a study environment limited to the people
who like animals, AAT may be an effective treatment for mental and
behavioral disorders such as depression, schizophrenia, and
alcohol/drug addictions, and is based on a holistic approach through
interaction with animals in nature. To most effectively assess the
potential benefits for AAT, it will be important for further research
to utilize and describe
(1) RCT methodology when appropriate,
(2) reasons for non-participation,
(3) intervention dose,
(4) adverse effects and withdrawals, and
(5) cost.

Copyright (c)2014 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

KEYWORDS:
Animal-assisted therapy, Randomized controlled trials, Systematic review

PMID: 24731910 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]