From:
Sue Fergesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 20:04:48 EDT
Hello all,

I am posting this for a friend, Claudia, so if you respond, could you
please email her directly at:

and post to the list too (so I can see the response).  She only gets on
email Wed.  and Thurs.  and is not yet on the list (I just told her about
it).  She runs a ferret shelter and works for a vet, too, so she is very
knowledgeable - BUT one of her rescues who she is very fond of, Kendrick
who is a 3 year old male is in bad shape and Claudia is very worried about
his surgery and recovery.

He has an adrenal tumor that has caused the prostate gland to enlarge,
pressing on the bladder (he is urinating small amounts frequently).  In
addition, he has cystic abscess on the bladder and has been on Clavamox
for 2 weeks.  The bladder is 1 1/2 - 2 times the normal size.  The vet,
Leanne Ksiazek at VCA Newark, DE, will need to remove the adrenal tumor
and make an opening through the abdominal wall for him to urinate this
way until the prostate swelling goes down.

When they did blood work, he bled when they drew blood and when they
started to intubate him, he vomited blood.  So, they brought him back and
Claudia took him with her to the other vet (the one she works with).  There
they sent out bloodwork and it came back fine, so Kendrick is scheduled
for surgery Wed. July 26th.  They want Caludia to bring in her largest
(ferret?) in case Kendrick needs a blood transfusion.

If any one has experienced any of this and has any words of wisdom, please
let her know.  I told her you all are a great community!!!

Thanks so much!
Sue, Gromit, and Sabrina(who will have adrenal surgery the same day-wish
me luck) for Claudia Johnson, Oxford Ferret Rescue