From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 11:01:51 -0400
Hi everyone.  I wanted to relate what has happened today and see if anyone
has anything they would like to add to it.  I am still a relatively new
ferret mom, so I haven't quite encountered all things that come up.  Heck,
I've been a pet mom to dogs, cats, hedgehogs, hamsters, snakes, and one
opossum for years, and still haven't encountered all things.  I think they
sit and try to think up new stuff to stress me out. :-)

If you've encountered this, let me know what happened at your house.

I have two ferrets, Luna and Sola.  Luna has this beautiful thick coat
and Sola has a thin sparse coat.  I've noticed it before, but I didn't put
much thought into it.  I figured it was a spring shedding thing.  All the
shedding started right at the beginning of spring.

Well, I watch and watch and Luna didn't loose her fur.  So, I thought,
well, all ferrets are different.  I figured that Luna just had a naturally
thicker coat and that Sola just shed more.

Well, I noticed yesterday (Monday) that Sola had a softer than normal
poopie.  I called the doc and we were at his office this morning.  I had
her checked and all is well.  No parasites or infections, so she just had a
soft poopie and I freaked out.  Doc Roberts determined that all was well
but he wanted to have a look at her backside.  (All her thinness is in the
hind quarters around the base of her tail and in the thick part of her back
legs).  He said it was her pink skin that got his attention.

I was asked about fleas and if she scratched alot.  I explained that we
battle fleas aggressively and use Frontline on the dog and cat.  I told him
that I haven't seen any fleas in months and that we do regular checks on
everyone.  I also told him that she didn't seem to scratch no more than
usual.  The only time I see her scratch is when she first wakes up and it
seems to be part of the waking up and stretching ritual.

So, he decided that it was either fleas or allergies.  So, she got an itchy
shot (it was 1/10 of a milligram of trilincasone and lincamiason)- excuse
the spellings, I am just going by what the doc said.  <<If you need to know
specifically, contact me and I will give you the doc's number and you can
call him>>

So, we waited out the shot, came home, had some treats, got some kisses and
we applied the flea drops (2 per ferret).  The Frontline is for kittens and
it dries quickly.  I put it on while they were asleep and wouldn't lick
each other.  Doc also says that after it dries, that if they bite each
other around the shoulder blades (where I put the drops) that it would be
o.k.  If I have problems, I will let you know.

So, I will be watching my kids for a month to see if there are any drop
reactions and if the hair starts coming back.  I will keep you updated.
Thanks for listening.

April (Oh, I hate holding the kids for shots.  It makes ME cry)
Luna  (Hey, Doc Roberts.  How you doing?  I'm just along for the ride)
Sola  (*scratch* OWW!  I hate shots...hey, the itching is going away!)
Bridgette (I get drops all the time.  What's the big deal)
Nutt (Hey!  The ferrets seem friskier.  What's the deal?)

http://www.geocities.com/~april_gallaty

    @-"-@
  (=^ ' ^=)
o00 -\o/- 00o