From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:29:38 -0700
Not long ago, I posted asking for information about incomplete neuters.  I
got several very good replies, (Thank you, again, to ALL) and just wanted
to update everyone on what has happened.

Bear did undergo surgery last Wednesday and had his retained testicle
removed.  It was tumorous, so was sent out to a lab.

The lab report came back today; my vet called to discuss it.  It was NOT
what he expected (and I did not know 'what' to expect, really).  I will
share the report, just as it was written, since my vet feels it is rather
unusual.  (-Bill: Doesn't violate any copywrite laws, does it?)
[It might technically... I think it'll be OK in this case... BIG]

*****
"HISTOPATHOLOGIC or CYTOLOGIC DIAGNOSIS
Testicle: The specimen is a testicle complete with epididymus which
contains a large mass of glandular and spindle cell tissue
indistinguishable from a typical adrenal cortical tumor.

BIOLOGICAL BEHAVIOR/COMMENTS
I believe this is an adrenal tumor arising in ectopic adrenal tissue of
the testicle.  While not specifically described as an entity in ferrets,
ectopic adrenal tissue has been noted in the testicles of several species
including humans and I feel confident that is the case in this patient.
If the patient was exhibiting signs of hyperestrogenism typical of that
seen in ferrets, that would strengthen my interpretation, though the lack
of such signs does not rule it out."

Paus C Stromberg DVM, PhD
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists
*****

While Bear showed no 'typical' signs of adrenal disease, other than whole
male behavior/appearance, it tends to make me wonder just how many ways
adrenal disease can manifest itself!  (if the adrenal glands 'look' ok,
how many other places should you look!?)

Dr. Higgins is still going to call the lab to get some other questions he
has answered, but feels Bear's prognosis is good.  (Not testicular cancer)

If anyone else has had any experience with anything similar to this, that
can let me know if there is anything more that we should be looking for
with Bear, please let me know.  (Bear is doing great, and I expect him to
bo back to his original family after his hormones calm down a little!)

Thanks!
Julie

=====
Julie Fossa