From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 1995 11:20:27 -0500
Charlene,
Some ferrets can and will start slowing down at age 3.  Others may start
later but it is not uncommon at this age.  You say your vet gave her a
clean bill of health - did he/she draw blood for a panel and CBC?

I had a ferret slow down at age 2...he's had several panels done (he's 4
now) and a splenectomy, and seems to be doing better now (that happened
when I switched his diet to Totally Ferret).  I think the best thing to
do is cover yourself by getting a panel and CBC done - if those are normal
and your vet doesn't feel any organ enlargement, and the ferret is eating,
acting, urinating/defecating ok, and everything else is normal, it just
might be normal aging.  If you blood work is normal, at the very least you
have established a baseline for future panels - and have given yourself
some peace of mind.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY