From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 1995 11:07:48 -0500
Sue, Most likely, it might have been a mink if it was a sold color.  The
fur on a mink is generally quite sleek as compared to a ferret.  If it was
a chocolate lab color, it was probably a mink - I believe they also have a
small white patch of fur under their chin.

The second part of your post bothers me.  You mention fasting your ferrets
for up to 10 hours.  Are you doing that to prevent defecating while traveling?
And you say you feed your ferrets at night...

Ferrets have a very high metabalism and should be free-fed all day.  In other
words, don't let the bowl get empty!  You also run the risk of a possible
hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) seizure from fasting them for 10 hours.  Judi
Bell from MF doesn't even recommend overnight fasting for routine surgery.
I generally get up around 5 AM and take food and water away, and I give a
dab of Nutrical around 7:30 AM - and my vet routinely gives fluids before
surgery on ferrets now - so you can see it is extremely important that they
not be fasted for any unreasonable length of time.

For traveling, I use a Kennel Cab II - there are other brands but generally,
any small cat carrier will do.  You *can* fit a litter pan in any size
carrier - it doesn't have to be an "official" litter pan - look at the
tupperware or rubber maid containers - pick one that will fit your carrier.

Also, I think you may be misunderstanding the '3-hour-empty' phrase.  If I'm
not mistaken, I believe that refers to the emptying of the stomach - and not
necessarily that of the intestine.  The stomach can be empty while food is
being processed in the large intestine, and then moves on to the small
intestine for further processing and absorption, and then waste products move
out of the body.  So just because you fast your ferret for 3 hours not mean
he will not need to defecate after that time has past.

Ferrets will travel quite well with proper equipment - a carrier, a litter
pan, food and water, and a small towel or blanket.  Hammies can be attached
quite easily as well.  My ferrets go to the vet's like this - and that's
considered an extremely short trip.  I wouldn't consider anything less for
something longer.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY