From:
Carla Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 1996 09:18:44 -0400
Dayna - idea for a name - "Spero" (pronounced "sparrow") - the Bible says
God cares when even a sparrow falls.  And, Spero means "I Hope" or "I
Trust" in Latin.  ( How someone could willfully cause that kind of pain and
suffering .... I'm still shaking.) This ferret was very fortunate that he
was found by someone who knew to call you.  You say you're "nothing
special" - yet the best talents are worthless unless the talented are
willing to use them.  Bless you, and blessings on the critters you touch.
Do you know yet whether you are going to keep this little fellow yourself,
or make him available for adoption later on?

Just a thought, don't know whether it would work or not - you said you were
making socks to protect his scars.  Would the "rubber finger tips" (used by
secretaries etc - come in different sizes, too) fit over the socks, to give
him some traction for walking?  (though, you would have to make sure that he
wouldn't chew on them...) Or possibly the "glue" that's made to go on the
bottom of throw rugs to keep them from slipping; you could apply it directly
& permanently to the socks... any craft or fabric store should carry it.

Karen - re: The Gift - that's a beautiful point you made.  I agree.

Phillip - on music - I had a sprite who was terrified by Bach's Toccata &
Fugue (y'know, the one used as the theme from "Phantom of the Opera").  It
would trigger a bona fide panic attack in her.  None of my ferrets like my
higher-voiced recorders, but they don't mind the alto or tenor.  Their
favorite wind instrument, though, paws down, is the vacuum cleaner.

Kit - you see why I don't let any of my maniacs watch TV?

Re PortaPotties - I've always used the plastic shoeboxes - snap on the lid
for travel.  Now we have a Pet Taxi for car travel (the size that's
comfortable for a beagle or sheltie).  It's big enough to hang a large
hammock in, and I have velcro strips glued in the back corner to attach a
small litter pan (fuzzy side in the carrier, hook side attached to the pan
bottom).  It's easy for me to pull out, but almost impossible for them to
tip over.

Les & Eric - sounds like a reasonable start for Spens & his new friend to
me... keeping the supervised play time and separate sleeping arrangements is
a good idea until the little girl is a bit older and more able to "speak for
herself" when Spens gets too rough.  Try putting a bit of FerreTone on each
of them for the other to help lick off...

Kim - on a similar note, you probably just need to let the Baby grow up a
little, to catch up with Betsy.  Once they're better matched in size,
they'll work out a reasonable relationship.  If you have two cages, set them
side by side so they can see and smell each other, and swap their bedding
every day or so.  Give them separate play times, with a few minutes overlap
(closely supervised), and gradually, you should be able to increase the time
they spend together.  Good luck!

Jodi - re:<...Do you have a similar story to share?> one month to the day
after Quidni died, I was led to adopt a half-grown male.  Rhodri is not
Quidni, I don't expect him to replace her or be like her, but there are a
few similarities that seem almost spooky... neither adoption was planned, I
was at each store for a different reason - both were reputed biters - both
neglected & dehydrated - both startle easily (& to similar things) - similar
build - same preference in toys....

My thoughts are with your parents on the loss of Josie.

Blessings,
Carla & the Woozlemaniacs