From:
Carla Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 22:42:54 -0400
Lea has asked me to let everyone know how Hestia is doing...
I brought Hestia home with me about 2 weeks ago, when Lea's back really
started to give her major grief.  It was hard for her to drive, so she
couldn't get Hestia to the vet, & she couldn't even move much to take care
of her.  The other critters were no problem yet, they didn't need special
care.  Anyway, I continued the care which Lea had started, hand-feeding
"liquid kibble" with a bunch of other good things mixed in.  I started her
on liquid Pepto, since the tablet mixed with her food wasn't doing much.  I
also started her on strained babyfood (Heinz Turkey & Chicken - meat & broth
only, no celery or other stuff.) She ate well as long as she was being held.
A trip to Dr. Klein (my vet, not Hestia's regular vet) got her started on
weekly B12 injections, and a stool check came back positive for coccidia.
Well, now we had a good idea why she hadn't been thriving.... I took Hestia
off the Pepto Saturday night, and her stools have remained brown and firm.
She remains on the Albon for right now.

Hestia is also, finally, starting to take a little of the regular kibble on
her own, when she thinks no-one is looking.  A "bribe" of a couple bites of
dog biscuit (which she adores!) crumbled in with the kibble seems to help.
She still prefers to "dine out" by sitting on someone's lap while you hold
the dish for her.....

Hestia also has a small skin tumor on her back which needs removed, but Dr.
Klein says she needs to be stronger before that's taken care of.  She's
already starting to take more interest in what's going on around her, &
wanting to come out of quarantine to play with the others.  Unfortunately,
she still runs out of energy after only a few minutes of activity.

Speaking of the others, what do you get when you cross a clear dryer hose
with 11 woozles?  a feeling that the circus ran away to join YOU.

Blessings,
Carla & the Woozlemaniacs
Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club