From:
Daniel Poryanda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 22:33:48 EST
Hello Ferty Folk,
Wednesday Sukie asked for any alternate ideas to surgical sterilization so
I wrote with an idea and she suggested I pose it to the list.  Here it is.

The Justice system has used, from time to time, chemical castration as
punishment for sex offenders.  I never took much notice of the articles as
to how the chemical affects the subject so I tried to search the JAMA for
articles on the subject and was led around in circles with links to
chemical dependency and surgical castration.  Neither of these were of much
good except that in cases of surgical castration the males had dramatically
increased incidence of osteoporosis.  What I wanted to find out was if the
procedure simply inhibits the male from acheiving erection or if it renders
the sperm immotile or whatever.  I do know that it does not involve the
removal of the testicles so, I would believe, not interfere with the
production of androstone (?) and so the endocrine system would still be
balanced.

This is a request to all our vets and persons in the medical field, can you
enlighten us on this subject.  Is there any data on this being effective on
animals?

Has this ever been studied at all?  If not, is this possibly a chance to
start clinical studies and publish the results for all?

I am very interested to hear what is out there on this subject if it can
help our fuzzies free from these diseases.

Hugsandkissestothefuzzies
Daniel Poryanda