From:
Dolores Mink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 21:53:22 -0600
HI!  I first wanted to thank everyone that emailed me about Rocco.  You
guys are great!  I knew I could depend on you guys for some great
ideas/help.  Where would we all be without the FML.  GO BIG!!  So anyways,
I'll fill those of you that wanted to know how Rocco was doing in.  By the
end of Sunday I was getting worried because his stools were really loose
and a greenish color, he wasn't drinking or eating.  So I called my vet and
left a message on his voice mail.  I made an appointment for first thing in
the morning.  (I kept thinking that my bosses/co-workers would think I'm
nuts for taking time off of work for a ferret!  But oh well, they don't
understand--those are my babies!!!!)  So then after a rough day and night
of forcing fluids (water and Pedialyte) and duck soup on my poor baby,
including a set alarm clock @ 2:30 a.m. to check on him and give him some
fluids, I wake up @6:30 to find one of my other munchkins in the other cage
had vomitted.  Great!!  So I called the vet again and they said to get
stool samples for both and bring them in.  Sure enough she(Haley) was
having runny,mucosey poopies.  So I brought them in and the doctor ruled
out a blockage and decided it was viral.  He said that they were both
slightly dehydrated and that me forcing the fluid and mush was good because
he might be in worse shape if I hadn't.  So $71 later, he gives me an
antibiotic to give to them every eight hrs(Tetracycline drops/15mg).  He
told me it was probably a good idea to keep them separated from my other
ferrets and keep a close eye on them.  So now Rocco is mad at me for
scruffing him all the time and squirting either water, pedialyte, food, or
yucky medicine.  Welcome to motherhood!! :)  But it's for his good.  So I
got a little maze of cages now.  I got the usual one, the sicky one, and
one for the newcomer!!  So now there both doing better.  Still had to force
some fluid yesterday with Rocco.  But by the end of the day we got the both
of them to eat a tiny bit of solid food, some mush, and to take some water
on their own.  Wheww!!  And today they seem more alert and they're drinking
on their own and even ate some regular food on their own.  Yea!!!  So I'm
just praying that their wellness is near and that my other ones don't get
it (knock on wood!).  Thanks again you guys for your help.  I'll let you
know if anything changes.

Kris and her 1/2 healthy, 1/2 sicky poo-poo babies