From:
Clare Sebok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 30 May 1994 20:00:03 -0400
We spent several tense hours on May 24th at the Animal Emergency Center in
Timonium, Maryland.  Ben and Jerry, our two 4 1/2 year old jills, had severe
reactions after receiving distemper vaccinations (Fervac) a few hours earlier.
They received the shots at 5:00 p.m.  We were a little concerned because last
year, they vomited almost immediately after their shots. This time we waited at
the vet's office for about a half hour in case they would need an antihistamine
shot again.  They seemed fine, so we took them home.  About 3 1/2 hours after
the shots, Jerry started vomiting violently and wheezing.  When we picked her
up, she felt warm and very limp.  Our veterinarian's office was closed by this
time, so I called the Baltimore Ferret Club president, Diane Rogers, and was
advised to go to the Animal Emergency Center. We put all three of our ferrets
in their travel cage (in such a panic that we forgot the litter box) and drove
as fast as possible to the clinic. Jerry was so weak and limp that we were
afraid we  would lose her.  She perked up a bit by the time we got to the
clinic.  She was treated with steroids (dexamethicone?) and subcutaneous fluids
and was kept under observation.  At about 10:30 p.m. (5 1/2 hours after the
vaccination), Ben started vomiting and wheezing, so she was also treated.  Our
5-month-old, Buttercup, did not develop any problems other than sleepiness.

We finally got home at about 1 a.m., exhausted but relieved.  The next day, the
ferrets seemed less energetic than usual, but otherwise healthy. How common are
reactions that require emergency treatment?  Should we just never get Ben and
Jerry vaccinated for distemper in the future? Should we go back to Fromm D,
which was used when they were younger and caused no problems? Dr. Williams or
Dr. Brown, we are especially interested in hearing your opinion.
Clare & Bill Sebok