From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:28:48 -0400
Kathy Jordon writes
The problem with the proposed changes in USDA rules is that the
enforcement will be an issue, and I don't think that it will be
enforced evenly from state to state, PLUS, time and time again I
have had occasions when veterinarians were mistaken about ages when
the ferrets go in for exams after being shipped, off by several weeks.

The proposed regulations will stipulate that ferret kits cannot be
transported or sold until the age of eight weeks, as indicated by the
emergence of adult canines.  This is very simple: If a kit has adult
canines, it is considered to be 8 weeks old.  If it does not have adult
canines, it is not yet 8 weeks old.

Thus it will be very easy with minimal training for breeders,
distributors, retailers, buyers, vets and inspectors to determine
if a kit is old enough to be legally transported or sold.

Kathy, you stated in your public comment APHIS-2005-0063-0309 that
The airline regulations specify shipping at a minimum of 8 weeks of age.

There are no such airline (or federal) regulations with respect to
ferrets, only cats and dogs.

You state on your web site http://www.carolinaferrets.net/id13.html
The Animal Welfare Act has so many guidelines that animals go better
than people.  It doesn't matter what the temps are when we board and
get off, but animals have to be comfortable and fed and receive
veterinary attention if they need it.  The feeding times have to be
recorded, and health documentation in the airline's computer for the
USDA to review.  If the airlines don't comply, they get HUGE fines.

Yet on your public comment you say the regulations
not being enforced now, and with the USDA at many airline hubs to
inspect, I don't see how  it will be enforced if the regulations
are changed.

By the way, the current USDA regulations as they apply to ferrets ("other
warm blooded mammals") only stipulate feeding once every 24 hours, and
offering water once every 12 hours.

You also state on your web page
With Continental, when they change planes in Houston, I have been
told that a licensed vet takes them off and boards them again for
their continuing flight.

Could you tell me who gave you that information?  I have been unable to
verify it.  Information on Continental's animal policy is available at
http://www.continental.com/travel/policies/animals/

Kathy, USDA regulations only apply to breeders who sell to retail stores.
Do you sell your kits to retail stores or only direct to the buyer?

Linda Iroff
International Ferret Congress
http://www.ferretcongress.org