From:
"Lisa Leidig - The Ferret Haven \"By-the-Sea\"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:31:45 EDT
Hi everyone

Please make a note of my new email address.......

Seems like its been so long since the last time I posted, but
unfortunately, its that time of year - drop off time.  5 new faces into
the shelter in a week.  The week before that, 4 in.  Another phone call
tonight. <sigh>  I guess I was just enjoying looking at empty cages too
much - now they are all full.  Hopefully next week will be no turn-ins,
but potential adoptees.

We are new members of a program called "Homeless Homer" - its a program run
for non-profit shelters to help them earn money.  If you buy pounce treats
or any Heinz products, look on the back of the package for a "save homeless
pets" seal - shelters collect those and redeem for money.....you can visit
Homeless Homer's website at www.homelesshomer.com and find a shelter near
you and send them your seals!  I know another ferret shelter, KiSta Ferret
Rescue in NJ, is also a member and could use the help.  I'm still waiting
to get listed there, but we should be on the database soon.

We currently have lots of pairs, all looking for homes - one silver/DEW
pair, one albino/sable pair, one chocolate/sable pair, and a special needs
pair of albino/DEW.  The DEW in this pair is insulinomic, and even though
he has had his pancreatic surgery (they removed more than 1/3 of his
pancreas) the biopsy found that the entire portion removed was full of
nodes - and most likely, so was the rest of his pancreas.  Garret is doing
well on medication, and enjoys playing with Ajax, his buddy.

Garret is 4, DEW and Ajax is 3, albino.  They get along great with others
and love to play.  Garret tires more easily, but when he is done playing,
he goes back to his cage to nap.

Emilia and Samson are also a great pair, she is a medium silver, he is an
absolutely gorgeous marked white.  Both are friendly, mannered and gentle.
She is 4, he is 3.  Emilia has a small cyst that is needing removal - its
one of those funny, clear filled skin cysts that cause no discomfort, but
must be drained often.  She is scheduled for surgery in the next two weeks
to remove it.

Prince and Princess are a sable female (2) and a dark silver (6mo).  They
like children, dogs and cats.  Well mannered and playful.

Tigger and Pooh are an albino male and sable female.  Both about 2.  Pooh
is a play nipper - likes forearms a little too much (can we say lick, lick
CHOMP?).  Still learning that there is more to food than Purina cat chow.

CeeCee is a cute little sable female - about a year old - litter trained,
gets along with others.

Slinky (used to be Stink-stink) is a sturdy 2 yo dark sable - very strong
girl, with a stocky build.  Not too enamored of other ferrets.

Plugger and Bandit - Hes a chocolate (6yr) and she is a sable (3).  Get
along with others, and very playful.

And of course, our very special needs ferrets - Emily, the adrenal miss;
Tigger/Trella pair - she is adrenal (7yrs old) and awaiting surgery - Poor
Trella has already had surgery to remove a mast cell tumor on her back leg;
Kaya, aka chipper-shredder our hand biter and Kiki, our newest fear biter -
I don't believe she was abused but rather just handled too roughly - she
cowers and bites at hands when they are over her head....

Such are the goings on at The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"......Ferrets,
anyone?

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"URL:
http: www.kozykingdom.com/ferrethaven
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854