From:
june batz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 07:05:08 -0700
Let me get the question out of the way...I posted to the FAIML, but
received no reply, so maybe someone here can shed some light.  Phoebe,
older Insulinomic ferret..is on predisone, and quite a bit I might
add...anyway, she has an odor about her, kind of like a burnt smell, can
the medication be causing this smell?

Does anyone else notice this with their ferrets, when I scratch my ferrets
on the neck, they push up into my hand..obviously they are enjoying it, but
i notice while I am scratching, slowly the tail starts to bottle brush, is
that a reaction to something that feels good?  Ben, you mentioned that you
were at the pet-co in Seattle, and that you were told that employees take a
short course about the animals for which they will be in charge of..why is
it, when I go into the pet-co down here in Federal way, they seem clueless,
except for Nancy who only works on the weekends, I believe there is one
other employee who knows some stuff because she use to be a ferret owner?!
On a happy note, after a year, I noticed that this particular pet-co has
put a litter box in with the ferrets..Kudos to whomever suggested that!

I went to the pet store (grrrrr) that I rescued Phoebe from, and asked the
manager that runs the store if they have received in ferrets in recently,
she said No, the ones people try to give her (kits or adults) are too mean
and bite to much and she did not have the time to work with them.  THIS IS
WHERE I HAD TO LAUGH, though not out loud, this is a pet store that sells
10 foot snakes, alligators, they have a pair of Coati's that are
aggressive, they have piranhas, a macaw with an attitude, an abused sugar
glider, scorpions, tarantulas..snapping turtles..you get my point...and she
is worried about selling nippy ferrets?!  Though I am happy they are not
selling them!! :)

June Louis and the zoo