From:
"E.M. Ennis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:01:13 -0500
>Date:    Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:55:25 -0500
>From:    Joanne Gelormino <[log in to unmask]>
>I agree with Alphachi's concerns regarding Marshall Farms, and I would
>like the questions he posed answered too.
>I would definitely like to see them out of business, especially if they
>supply ferrets for lab animals and kill jills when they are no longer
>any use to them.

I've lurked on this thread since I joined the FML recently and it seems to
me that a lot of people are overlook some rather obvious points.

1) Ok.  You magically put MF out of business.  Now what.  Both the demand
for lab-ferts and small, cute, neutered/descented pet-store ferts will be
high.  Do you honestly believe that there won't be another 'MF-type' company
ready to pounce on this opportunity?  Even if you get rid of MF, you don't
get rid of the problem.

2) Where I live, MF ferts are the the norm.  To the best of my knowledge
there isn't a breeder within 150 miles of here (northern VT) and still in
the USA.  A few of the local pet stores have tried other breeders and the
ferrets are extremely ill-tempered (both from OH and PA, they didn't know
the name of the breeder) and much younger than the MF kits they get in.  If
it were not for MF, ferts would not be as popular as they are.  (note: I'm
not saying this is good or bad; realize that most ferts in this area ARE MF
ferts).

3) Lab animals.  It's a touchy subject and I hesitate to bring it up.  The
fact remains that until it becomes socially acceptable to test human
treatments solely on human beings, other animals will involved in the
testing process.  It just so happens that ferts have a similar immune system
and make good subjects.  I don't LIKE it, but consider the alternatives and
the social implications of those alternatives.  I love my ferts, I hate the
idea that any of my guys could have been shipped to labs, and I certainly
wish there were other feasible options.

4) Pick your fights.  As ferret caretakers, we need to determine what goals
should be set for increasing the welfare of those animals we CAN help.
Kodo, 'Phoenix' (the Cleveand fert), and all other incidents where ferts get
a bad rap and continue to viewed as 'crazed, maniacal killers' in the
media's eye should be the focal point.  Maybe once we can deal with the
rumor and blatant misinformation in the general public about ferts we can
proceed onto bigger and better things like detering lab use.  Help those
that you can help- those living in aquariums with cedar shavings and
MeowMix.  Those that are bought as an easter present and then left in the
basement, forgotten, when interest wanes.  Promote the needs of the domestic
ferret and educate the public about our wonderful weasels.  Much of the
public won't really care if ferrets are being used in labs if the majority
opinion is that they're mean, vicious baby-killers.  -Erin...

  |\/  Mr. Erin M. Ennis, Water Resources Major, University of Vermont  /\|
  |\/\/\/\/\/\*** VISIT http://www.upstartmagazine.com ***/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\|