From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:30:06 -0500
I've always allowed my dogs to chew on raw bones and their favorite is the
rib bones with all the meat attached.  Soup bones have to be cooked though
or they won't touch them.  The dogs and ferrets live together in our home.
It's interesting to see the two interact when raw bones/meat are given to
the dogs.  I trained the dogs from the very beginning to share, at one time
I had 6.  So when I give the dogs a bone :-) the ferrets will come over and
see what all the hubbub is about, sniff and walk off.  The dogs sometimes
raise a lip but never once have they snapped at the ferret.  Once the meat
is chewed off the bone and the dogs get up to get a drink of water, they
may come back to a missing bone, which was happily carted off by one of the
ferrets.  I've not seen the ferrets chew on the bones, only steal and stash
them with their other treasures.  And they always wait till the dogs have
first go at the bones so I'd have to say that in our home raw foods do not
cause aggression.  Of course the dog kibble is also fair game to the
ferrets and the ferrets are more interested in it at the time the dogs are
eating.  I feed free-style so the dog kibble is always available to all.
When the dogs decide to chow down on it, there seems to always be at least
one ferret coming up to steal a piece.  The dogs wait patiently while the
ferret searches out just the right piece and darts away.  Of course the
dogs get even by waiting till I'm sleeping and then they go into the
kitchen to eat all the food I have down for the ferrets (in that room, they
don't go into the back bedroom and rarely into the front and never
downstairs or in the cages so there is always plenty of food for the
ferrets).

As far as aggression, I believe that training is the key.  I have large
dogs and little ferrets.  The dogs learned early that aggression of any
type was not tolerated.  That isn't to say that accidents don't or won't
happen so I monitor them and verbally reinforce their training from time
to time.

Hugs to all. tle