From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 10:25:53 -0400
Where can I get Cheweasel?  I have been wanting to offer my ferrets softened
rawhide, but never got around to it.

Introductions: It will not change your ferrets intrinsic nature to get
other ferrets.  They will remain as sweet or as vicious as always.  Most
appreciate the company.  The introduction process can be kind of loud, and
I have seen a little blood, but peace will usually prevail.

Ferret maulings: Don't drag dogs into it.  The same people who think ferrets
are dangerous also support breed specific legislation against large dog
breeds.  The truth is that most serious incidents involving animals result
from poor supervision and training on the part of the owner and a stupid
sentimental streak that ignores the signs of danger.  No, little Switchblade
never showed any signs of aggression until he ripped Johnny's face off.
Yes, we only bought this pit bull boxer rottweiler wolf hybrid because he
was such a cute puppy.  Anyway, my point is that saying ferrets kill fewer
babies than dogs is only going to cause problems for dog-lovers.  Some
people don't like animals.  The only defense for ferrets or dogs against
baby mauling accusations is to point the finger directly back at the owner
of the dangerous animal and ask: Why didn't you obedience train this animal?
Why did you leave the baby in a playpen downstairs with the ferret?  Why
weren't you supervising your toddler when he shoved a pencil in the dog's
ear?  Why did you ignore the signs of
aggression/fear/fear-aggression/dementia/whatever and allow this dog access
to children/neighbors/etc?  Why didn't you niptrain this kit?  Why don't you
keep the cat indoors if you know it hates people?  Why are you keeping an
elephant in captivity and forcing it to perform tricks in front of thousands
of people?

-Catherine