From:
suzi lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 14:34:52 -0700
Dear Michael,
Have you been to the vet?  I don't want to scare you but, something like
this happened to a friend of mine.  It went on for a while, first she (the
ferret not the friend) threw up (it looked like either hair or some junk),
then not eating, then nibbling some food off and on.  She finally took the
ferret to the vet and by that time it was really sick.  The doctor said
ferrets can have a partial hair ball or it could be something she wasn't
supposed to eat like foam or rubber.  That caused a bowel obstruction and
the vet said it can cause death.  They took x-rays (though some times it
doesn't show up) and she had a lot of air in the stomach(?) and it looked
suspicious, so they did surgery and it was a bowel obstruction and it
saved her life, thank god.  Pretty scary!  I guess you never know and
going to the vet right away is the best thing.

The vet said you have to give laxative on a regular basis for preventive
measures, but keep a close eye on her because even with laxative it can
happen.

Good luck and I hope everything turns out o.k
Suzi L.