From:
gabe and pam sasman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 12:06:43 -0600
Hi:
I am asking about my three ferrets' living situation.  I am concerned about
the lack of exercise they are getting.  we let then out of the cage for
about 20 minutes one to two times a day.  this is when they run and chase
and play.  I want to fix the cage we have and when we move build/buy
another.  which will give them more room to romp and play.

They have a cage (36Hx18Dx24W)  I have most of the bottom half with litter
boxes taking up the floor area.  then there is a ramp and level (about 8
in inches wide) to the other side of the cage and up to a thrid level.  We
have a hammock hanging from the roof and on the one level is a dish for
food and on the other level is a dish for water.  The materials the cage
is made of is 1x1/2 inch mesh wire and the wire is vinyl coated.

When we move we want to get more ferrets and are looking for ideas on how
to improve the ferret's home.  Starting over is a possibility cause we can
always use this cage for our large bird we will someday have too.  We also
want several smaller cages with tunnels connecting so they get more
exercise.

With the current cage we have tried smaller food dishes but it seems that
feeding time becomes competition.  I have tried water bottle hung outside
the cage but hardely find one that won't leak and the ferrets didn't accept
it either.  They like to dunk their heads in the water bowl (especially in
the summer) and for some reason they like to sleep in it when the water is
almost gone.  I have tried smaller litter boxes but two of our ferrets like
to dig and the ferret boxes which go in the corner just do not confine the
litter.

How can this planned cage to be made and current cage be improved?

Pam