From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 22:07:14 -0800
>From:    Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Shelter sponsorship: info wanted

Hi Pam,

I have a sponsorship program in place here for anyone interested in helping
a needy fuzzy.  In operating a shelter you are bound to get "kids" that have
serious medical problems or behavioral problems or are simply too old to
adopt out.  These kids become permanent residents here.  They get the same
love and attention and playtime every day that all the others get, the only
difference is their bills are often higher for medicines, frequent vet
visits and the like, and they will never be adopted.  Just this last
Thursday, I had to pay $54.00 for a single prescription for one of the
permanent residents.

I require adoption fees for those ferrets who are relatively young and
healthy and are adoptable, this offsets those kids expenses and, hopefully,
if I have not had to have surgery or the like done on these, I can use some
of the adoption fees for the permanent resident's care.  But there is never
enough.  The last time I calculated it out, the adoption fees covered
approximately one-third of my shelter expenses.  The rest is covered by
donations, and my own income, or is still owed (I think I have approximately
$600 owed on a credit card for supplies and such for the shelter).

It is very tough supporting these kids, because I am the only person here!
I care for all 43 in my care now, all by myself, so I must be here a great
portion of the time.  I can really only work part-time and still run the
shelter properly.  The more work I take on (in order to pay the bills), the
less time I can spend with the fuzzies.  It is a catch-22 situation.  I LOVE
what I do, and have promised the kids I'll find a way to care for them no
matter what.  The sponsors help us out *incredibly* here.

The way I run the sponsorship program is, I let anyone know who is
interested in sponsoring just what ferrets need sponsors, and what their
approximate "expenses" are per month (it costs about $1.00 per day per
ferret just for food, litter, and incidentals).  Then I make it very clear
that we have no minimum "requirement" or any such thing.  We appreciate
every single dollar that anyone can send to the fuzzies here.  We certainly
do not put restrictions or requirements on the sponsors, it is a *gift* of
*love* and we treat it that way.  We also know that circumstances change and
therefore we completely understand if a sponsor has to stop for some reason,
or if there is an "interruption" in support.  It is no big deal, WE LOVE ALL
OUR SPONSORS!!  Um, er, I just realized I am saying "we" here, I think of
the ferrets as part of this whole thing too, actually they and myself are
the "we", there are no other humans here.

So sponsors send whatever they are able to, and we are appreciative.  They
select from the list the ferret they wish to sponsor.  In return they get a
profile of their ferret, sometimes that is only in the form of an email (at
least, until I can get more organized), and I send photos to the sponsors.
Some of the ferrets get creative and send emails or special cards themselves
to their sponsors.  (But I must warn everyone, some of these ferrets'
spelling is pretty lousy!) Some really enjoy getting things from their
special ferret.  Some sponsors send emails to their ferret, and some send
"gifts" and packages and such, too.  I update the sponsors as often as I can
on their special fuzzy.  The checks I receive go directly for their ferret,
each has kind of an account that I keep track of, so I know what is covered
and what is not.  I also have 6 ferrets of my own, and all of their expenses
are separate also and ONLY come out of my own pocket, in case anyone is
wondering.

As I said, there is no requirement at all.  Some sponsors can only send a
small amount, in those cases I simply try to get more than one sponsor for
that particular fuzzy.  Some sponsors are very generous and are able
financially to cover their ferrets' medical expenses as well.  This always
helps alot, too.  Whatever I don't have to spend (of my meager salary) on
the permanent residents can go to the others without sponsors, or to enable
me to rescue more ferrets in need, or buy needed supplies and medicines.

I hope that covers everything for you.  This program is working pretty well
for us, without my supporters and sponsors, I might not be able to continue.

Kisses to the fuzzies,

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shetler