Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:29:45 +0000
Hi Lisa,

I have been through this twice in the past 2 years, and am likely about
to go through it again.  Don't give up!  Some people will tell you that
some ferrets will just never get along, and I believe that to be true BUT
I think that in most cases, you can make it work.  It will just take
time.  My last "introduction" took 3 months before they could all be
together.

You're doing everything right.  Have you also put newbies bedding into
existing ferts cage?  I do a lot of bedding "mix and match." Another
thing is to get some bitter apple (or whichever of those products works
for you) and to put it on the newbies' necks so that Panda isn't as
interested in "attacking." Be careful not to get it in the eyes, though,
and you'll need to reapply it.  Lastly--and some people may not agree
with this but it has always worked for me--at some point (probably not
yet) you may just have to do supervised plays with, say, one newbie and
Panda and let them go at it for a while, then separate them, then do it
again the next day.  Obviously, you'll separate them if it looks like
anyone is getting hurt.  We had to do this.  They're establishing their
order, you know?  Oh, I also used to scruff a newbie in one hand and an
established fert in another, and talk calmly to them and let them
sniff....sometimes, I think the ferts you already have are worried the
newbie is going to take mommie away from t hem.  I felt that this helped
show them I could be with both of them at the same time.

Our last newbie got dragged around for weeks and cried and fear pooped.
You'd never know it now.  They all sleep together in a big pile in the
same cage.  Like I said, it just took time, work, and a lot of patience.
GOod luck!  (If anyone disagrees with the way that works for us, don't
flame me!  I'm not saying this is how everyone should do it!)

T.A.