From:
John & Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:38:21 -0500
>From:    Chris Perth <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets and little kids... a no-no!
>
>I always did believe it is NOT a good idea to let your or anyone else s
>kids (maybe even older than 6 which is what I read is the minimum age
>recommended) play with ferrets!  Even when you are standing right there,
>either kid or ferret (most likely the poor ferret) can really get hurt...

We have a 14-month old daughter, and we have 3 ferrets...2 of which we got
before we had a baby on the way.  We have not had any problems; it just
takes a little extra care to ensure that.  We have been (succesfully)
teaching our daughter the proper way to pet a ferret "nicely".  She is not
yet allowed to hold them, and we do not have them out when & where she is
at the same time except for a few minutes, a couple of times a week.  At
those times, we VERY closely supervise them all.  This way, they are used
to her, and she is able to learn gradually how to treat ferrets.  The rest
of the time, though, they run around in a large room that she cannot go
into, and they get to run around the rest of the house when she takes her
naps, and after she goes to bed at night.  When they are in their cage, we
also let her look at them (and vice versa) through the cage.  I guess my
point is just that over the past few years I have heard many people express
concern over children being around ferrets, but it really is possible while
still being safe for the child and safe as well as still fair for the
ferrets too, if you are willing to work at it a little.

On the other hand, when other peoples' children come over, we always put
the ferrets in their cage & let the kids look at them that way.  The only
exception is for some of our other kids' friends (our other two are 10 &
12 years old), we may take the ferrets out one at a time, but we hold
them while the kids pet them.  Our oldest children play with the ferrets
unsupervised, but we feel it's better to be cautious with other kids,
even ones that are that old (mainly for the ferrets' sakes.)

Shannon, Sterling, Pandora, & Jasmin