From:
Lee Donehower <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 00:10:35 -0500
To Kimberly Blackman
RE: Litter Training

Martha was good for using a single corner of her cage while in it.  Once
outside the cage, she immediately went to the bathroom!  behind the toilet!!
 It's the only area of my apartment that's not carpeted and apparently she
liked the coolness of the tile on her feet.  In "de-feet", I placed a litter
box there.  Like others who reported here, she too, played in the litter but
used the floor beside it.  Finally I removed the litter box and replaced it
with paper towels.  She uses the paper towels!

Remember: ferrets train us.... not the other way around.

Anyway, Martha finally got me properly trained and when Snowball arrived, she
trained him as well: he uses the paper towels in the bathroom when he's too
busy to go back to the cage.  However, Snowball has also left deposits in
closet corners.  At first I discouraged this, cleaned it up, etc.  Then I
noticed the quantity of droppings were much smaller than normal deposits.  I
now leave them there and Snowball, content that his territory is properly
marked, shows no need to re-deposit at these alternative sites.

Lee Donehower
Omaha  NE