From:
Jessica Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:23:02 -0500
Hello!

The cutest thing happened the other day...

I bought a harness so that I couls walk my *newly vaccinated* ferts around
where I live.  Well, this thing was way to big for Lady: she squirmed and it
ended up down near her butt.  This thing adjusts but even at the smalles
setting, she can get itout from in front of her paws and near the other part
of the harness (hard to visualize, I know).

Well, since Lady couldn't go, I took Squid (who, btw, weighed in at a modest
3 lbs at the vets).  He did so well!  He took to this harness right away.
Once he was in it, and I had it adjusted so that it fit him right, we took
him up to campus when I was on my way to class.  It was around 6, and there
weren't many people out.  So we took him into this little patch of grass,
and he tried every ferret move known to man.  He burrowed, pounced, zoned
out, flattened him self out on the ground, jumped, waled and ran.  It was so
cute.  So my fiance was getting ready to say goodbye to me since it was time
for me to go in, and Squid just walked right up the stairs of the building
like he owned the place.  It was hilarious.  Then, when he tried to follow
me down to the classroom, he wasn't real sure about going DOWN the steps.
When he tried, he would put his front paws on the next step, and then his
rear would just tumble down behind him.  I just about died.

I took him out again yesterday, but we just walked around the apartement
building.  There was an older woman coming, and I wasn't sure what to do (we
are not supposed to have pets, but I got permission from the landlord, but I
didn't want anyone to complain to her....).  Well, he walked right up to her
and sat on her foot.  I thought, uh oh, this is it.  He is going to be the
first ferret football.  But, she just asked what he was, and then reached
down and petted him (before I could stop her).  He just looked at her with
the same confused expression he always has.  It was so cute.  When I told
her I was taking him to some shows this summer, and he needed to be trained
on the leash, she started asking a ton of questions.

Well, anyway, I am going to take him up onto campus today. We'll see how he
does.

But, I do have 2 questions:

1. How can I rig this other harness so that Lady can't get out of it?

2. When I took them to the vets, he did vaciinate against distemper, but NOT
with FERVAC. How soon can I have them re-vaccinated with the proper vaccine?

You can e mail me directly....

Thanks all!

Jess
Lady: How come he gets to go outside? huh? huh?
Squid: I am the king ferret of the great outdoors....