From:
Bob Rudich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 08:29:00 EST
>The critical period will be the first year, when the possibility of "fad
>status" could lead to a shelter-overload disaster.  In fact, I'd be
>interested in tracking the experiences in other recent-legal states to get
>some handle on what we're in for...

This was the fear of many this year in MA.  I'm happy to say that AFAIK it
has not happened.  My wife has blanketed central MA with notices to contact
us for ferret rescues.  So far we have had 1 ferret turned in to us, 1 we
referred to the N.  Reading shelter, and dozens of requests to adopt.  The
two official animal shelters in the Worcester area (2nd largest city) have
had none turned in and 2 ladies at the Worcester Animal Rescue are on our
adoption request list (both already own 1 and want a pal).  The one turned
in to us was so sweet and fit in so well with our crew that we kept him.

An unofficial Worcester shelter has ad a few turned in but so far no attempt
is being made to adopt them (in fact the opposite).  The shelter in N.
Reading has had some turned in and adopted a few.  I have suggested to
enough people to adopt from there to clean them out, but it isn't located
conveniently enough for people to go there readily (not a knock, just the
feedback I get when I follow up).  Truthfully, we had intended to go there
to possibly adopt, but it was much easier for us to drive to Nashua, NH.

So the demand seems to still exceed the supply and turnover has not been a
bad problem.   Nor have I heard anything from others to the contrary.

However, ferrets have been readily available with a couple hour drive or
less for several years in neighboring states so a large state like CA may
have a difference there.  We still get our ferrets out-of-state because the
price is much lower (2 kits this year).

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \