From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:56:06 -0500
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>  wrote on 11/21/2004, 3:00 AM:
>t has been observed by many, some of your thoughts about this on several
>other message boards, along with others that have completely blown the
>ADV/bedding issue out of proportion.  It's a good thing that you have
>finally brought your views here.

WOW!  I am not familiar with the other boards where this has been
discussed, and so I may be missing something, but it seems the response
to Millie is a little harsh.

I personally always tell people when in doubt to err on the side of
caution, and if concerned about someone's ADV status, to ask.  The person
asked has the right to refuse to answer, and so does the person who asked
then have the right to take her business elsewhere.

But, as someone who has been dealing with ADV for 5+ years, I also do
get tired of some of the hysteria that sometimes comes up when ADV is
mentioned.

ADV is a serious illness, and testing is important to keep it from
spreading.  But, there are precautions that can be taken to ensure that
it isn't spread.

Because I am lazy and do not like to rewrite things over an over, I am
going to cut and paste a post I recently made on the ADVList, in answer
to someone's question about buying bedding on EBAY.
***********************

It is a possibility, however, it is easy enough for people with ADV+
ferrets to take precautions so that it wouldn't be a problem.  However,
if you have any doubts, I would err on the side of caution.

If you know for a fact that the person selling the bedding has ADV+
ferrets, I would write and ask what precautions are taken.  That is a
very reasonable thing to do, and the person shouldn't mind answering.
If you don't know anything about the person, ask if they have any ADV+
ferrets, and if they do what precautions they take.

I do know that the ADV+ shelter on the west coast sometimes sells bedding
on EBAY to help pay the expenses of caring for the ferrets.  This person
keeps her sewing supplies in a separate room where the ferrets are not
allowed.  She only goes into the room when she has not handled any
ferrets, wearing recently cleaned clothes.  As an extra precaution, she
soaks all pieces in parvocide and washes them before sending them out.
With those precautions, it is very unlikely that the bedding would be
contaminated.
***********************

The bottom line is, I don't think it hurts to ask.  Again, the person
asked can decline to answer, and the person asking can go elsewhere.  It
doesn't have to be a big deal.  But, even if there are ADV+ ferrets,
there are precautions that can be taken to make the bedding safe.  Common
sense goes a long way.

-- Danee
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator
http://ferretcongress.org
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit: http://www.ferretadv.com
You can help fight ADV!
Visit: http://help4adv.terrabox.com/