From:
"Megan O'Shaughnessy, D.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:10:20 -0800
I had to do a very sad thing today -- take a cat the the humane society.
He was a stray.  I tried hard to adopt him into my house, since he was such
a sweetie-pie, but my own cat, Cinnebar, just could not cope with it at
all.

It's getting cold up here, so after advertising locally about a lost cat
and then trying to find someone to adopt him here, I took him to the humane
society.

I'm writing to you all because this cat put up with the ferrets.  He would,
I think, make a good addition to a ferret household.  He showed interest
but not any real fear, put up with Onyx's ear-nuzzling and ear-grabbing,
very calmly, and only once smacked her one, claws retracted.  Both ferrets
thought his long soft coat was a really cool thing to snake around in.

He's a neutered male, probably 10-14 lbs, black longhaired manx, with a
white bib (plus some white on one side of his muzzle) and white stripe up
his belly, white toes in front and white socks in back.  He's BEAUTIFUL,
sweet, very very biddable/trainable, litter trained, and very much the
"omega" cat -- he backed down from my cat's aggression every time, and
basically would do anything asked of him as long as he got love and
affection.  Very much the sweetie pie and would knead and purr lots.  He'd
make a great lap cat for someone.  He does wolf down any food set out for
him until it's gone, but I assume that's just because he's been stray and
has to get whatever food he can when he can find it; probably with some
time he'd become less fearful about losing his food.

As you can tell, I fell in love with him.  If it wasn't for my own cat's
obvious suffering, even after "break-in" time, I'd keep him myself...but
as it is, I just couldn't.  If anyone wants a beautiful, sweet kitty and is
in the Washington state area, let me know; I can help with transportation.
The humane society said they'd keep him around as long as they could
because he is neutuered and has a good temperament (ie.  more adoptable
than others) but I'd feel totally awful if he was put down :(

(WA-state) Megan, and
    Grover (Pepcid's LOTS better than pepto, mom!)
    Onyx (Where'd the black furry toy-thing go?!?)
    Cinnebar (I'm an only cat!)
    missing Sammy-the-sweet-stray