From:
"Cheryl M. Forbis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 13:04:37 CDT
Hi all!

I just couldn't resist.  I haven't gotten a new ferret in over three years,
but when I saw the most amazing butterscotch baby boy in my local pet store,
I had to have him!  He is a Path Valley ferret according to the waranty card
he came with.  Unfortunatly, he brought the dreaded disease with him.
Funny, none of the info that came with him even mentioned the threat of ECE
not to mention the fact that the baby could have been exposed.  If I hadn't
been a subscriber of this list, I wouldn't have known what that green slim
on the side of my litter box was or how to handle it.  Thanks to all of you,
I was armed with the most up to date info on treatment(good thing since it
happened on Sunday with no vet open) and I got right on it.  The guys seem
to be handleing it very well, even my 6/7 year old.  Since Sunday, I've seen
no more slime and everyone is eating and drinking.  Its only been a couple
of days but compared to some of the stories I've seen on this list, this
looks like a very mild case.  I hope it stays that way.  Anyway, my dog has
taken to mothering the new baby.  I left him out with my other three the
first day for two minutes while I took the litter out.  The others took no
interest in him so I thought it would be O.K.  But when I started to come
back in I heard my dog whining and barking and generally distressed.  I ran
in to find my girl trying to kill the new baby and he was squealing and
crying.  I got him away from her and found no wounds, but he cried for a
while longer and still does when any of the bigger kids come near him.  The
dog would not calm down until I let her make sure he was fine.  Now she
follows him every- where.  Anytime he cries she comes running.  Its funny
that he isn't afraid of the dogs, he'll even play with them, but he is
scared to death of the other ferrets.  Maybe when he gets a little bigger
the little girl will be better.

Bye for now......
                CHERYL