From:
"Christopher D. Guinn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 1995 16:39:29 -0500
I have been on the FML for about 2 years now.  Yes, the traffic has
grown tremendously!  But, I remember a time when I would read the FML,
read the Usenet "alt.pets", and respond to individual e-mails.  Now, I
feel pretty safe that any significant ferret topics are discussed here
on the FML and I have discontinued using the Usenet.

I have seen thousands of the same topics come up over and over, so I
just scan the subject line and skip it if it doesn't sound like
something I want to spend the time reading.  Sometimes, heaven forbid,
I look at the subjects at the top of each issue and if I don't see
anything new and interesting I delete it right there and then!

This list is very well moderated.  I am on some other non-ferret
related mailing lists that are usually 5 times as long as this digest.
A quarter of the posts are people sending sub and un-sub requests to
the wrong address (i.e.  lots of articles to wade through to get to
the relevent stuff).

In short, I think it is still to soon to complain about the length of
the list.  My suggestion is to use good subject line headers.  I don't
even consider reading it if the subject is: "Ferret Digest # - 31 Mar
1995 - 1 Apr 1995" or "Ferrets" etc.  I know it is fascinating to read
each and every article, but after you read 100 articles over a years
period all dealing with the same subject, you can probably know
exactly word for word what is in the 101th article by only reading the
subject.
Christopher D.  Guinn 04 CPE - Auburn University
[log in to unmask] http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/guinncd/