From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 12:35:52 EDT
>WHY IS IT THAT THINGS CAN BE SAID ABOUT FERRETS MAGAZINE AND A FERRETS BUT
>BY GEORGE YOU BETTER LIKE EVERYTHING MODERN FERRET DOES OR KEEP YOUR MOUTH
>CLOSED?

Who said you had to like everything Modern Ferret does, or that you had to
keep your mouth closed?  I certainly didn't, and didn't see any other posts
that even suggested that.

I did offer some explanations to the original complaints based partly on my
reading of Modern Ferret and partly on my own experiences as a writer and
publisher.  I, like many others, am satisfied with the product Modern
Ferret turns out.  I understand they are a small business with a small
staff (two people) doing the best they can to turn out a quality product
and not a corporate entity with large resources, and have no problem with
ocassional delayed issues.  Myself, I would prefer a good quality late
issue over an on-time rushed and slap-dashed issue of lesser quality.  And
that is the bottom line -- Modern Ferret produces a ferret maggazine of
high quality.  They take pains to make sure the information they publish
is accurate and informative.

Looking at Issue #21, we find articles about making an isolation cage,
information about ECE (with a sidebar by Mary Shefferman), tips on how to
write effective letters, the importance of good cage cleaning, an extremely
important article on the importance of medical accuracy and the disasterous
dangers of even well-intentioned misinformation, an article on traveling
with ferrets, the Ferret Files, first hand experiences of adrenal surgery
and the final outcome, as well as the grieving process experienced by
ferrets and humans alike, an article on caring for a ferret with
insulinoma, and page and pages of reader's ferret photos.  All of that
for a news stand price of $4.95.  I don't know about anyone else, but I
certainly got my money's worth from that issue.

Who writes the articles or poses in the phtographs is of minor importance
to the informational and entertainment value of the final product.  Modern
Ferret's nameplate even states clearly "For ferret owners.  By ferret
owners." They have never claimed their magazine was anything else.

When anyone has a problem with a magazine -- especially one as open to
new writers as Modern Ferret and to a lesser extent, other speciality
magazines -- there are several constructive options available to them.
One, sit down and write a quality article and submit it to the magazine for
submission.  Two, and along the same lines, sit down and write a series of
columns and offer to write a regular column.  Then follow through with the
regular submissions if your offer is accepted.  Three, write a well
reasoned, rational letter of complaint to the publishers that explains your
concerns politely and without the use (or overuse) of all caps.  After all,
no one likes to be shouted at by another.  Most messages carry farther and
are better received when delivered in a soft tone.  Emphasis should be
reserved for important messages like warning of imminent physical danger or
disaster.  Lastly, if you feel your concerns just aren't being met, stop
buying the magazine.

There is a big difference between constructive criticism which results in a
better product and complaining.  One is an instrument for positive change
and growth.  The other is just whiney.

Scott