From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 03:48:04 EDT
>My favorite magazine "use to be" Modern Ferret.  In the first, say 12
>beginning issues, the magazine was shorter but held more informative
>articles and pictures and from many different sources.  I persoanlly
>believe that the latest say, 9 issues, of the magazine is longer with
>number of pages but seems to be filled with the "owner/operators" own
>personal pictures, advertisements for said magazine or articles written by
>themselves rather then other sources.  Personally, I don't think that the
>centerfold for issue #21, was something to be proud of.  A rabbit and
>ferret are considered a pedator & prey.  (yes, I know there is exceptions
>to every rule, but education should be the key)

You know, I too, have noticed that Modern Ferret magazine has increased in
size, scope, and education.  The one thing I have not noticed -- but it
could just be that I'm not as observant or critical as I was when I was
slightly younger -- is a corresponding increase in price.  Perhaps the
number of "owner/operator" written articles is the result of not having
enough outside writers submitting or not enough well-written submissions.
Either way, it is rare in this world to be presented with an increase in
quantity and quality without incurring a significant increase in price.
Normally, the complaints go the other way -- quantity/quality decrease
while the price increases.

Of the available ferret magazines on the market, Modern Ferret has been
consistent in their efforts to provide well-balanced and informed education
to ferret care givers of all experience levels.

And, no -- I do not know the Schifferman's personally, nor do I have an
article in for submission to them, nor do I plan to have one submitted to
them at anytime in the near (and not so near) future.  I just appreciate
and recognize a quality product when I come across one, rather than a
conglomerate production designed to cash in on a niche market.