From:
"William L. Sebok" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 12:26:51 -0400
With deep sadness we announce the death of Lupi, our canine companion.  Lupi
died suddenly Friday night when a tumor in his heart caused a hemorrhage,
filling his chest with blood.  Just a few hours earlier, we had no idea Lupi
had a life-threatening illness.  He happily accompanied us on a trip to West
Frederick Veterinary Hospital to get rabies shots for two of our ferrets,
Bridgett and Buttercup, and a pre-op chem screen for Bridgett (she needs a
second adrenal surgery).  On the way home from our errands, we noticed that
Lupi was restless, uncomfortable, and panting excessively.  We found an
emergency clinic, where the doctor told us he had congestive heart failure.
The doctor seemed optimistic that he could be treated.  On her
recommendation, we left Lupi at the clinic.  We received a phone call at
about 4:00 a.m.  telling us that Lupi had died.  We authorized an autopsy,
which revealed the heart tumor.  We are devastated.

Ben and Jerry, our two original ferrets who died last year, accompanied us
to an animal shelter in 1990 where we picked out Lupi.  When he showed a
friendly reaction to the ferrets, we knew Lupi was the right dog for us.
Lupi's main interest in the ferrets was stealing their food.  He patrolled
the area around the outside of the cage in search of scattered food.  If we
accidentally left the cage open, he would squeeze through the little ferret
door and empty all the bowls.  Whenever we gave treats to the ferrets, Lupi
would join the begging frenzy: we called him the honorary ferret.

Lupi was curious about the ferrets but somewhat nervous when several ferrets
stalked his feet at once.  When Jerry was young, she could intimidate
43-pound Lupi by staring at him.  Occasional conflicts occurred when the
dog and ferrets were separated by the cage but confined in close proximity
during long car rides.  Lupi would lean his head against the ferret cage and
a ferret would bite his ear; he would growl and snap, and a staring match
would ensue.  When there was no cage to protect them from each other, the
ferrets and Lupi were much less bold.  The ferrets once escaped from the
cage when we were not home and ran around unsupervised with the dog for a
long time; no one got hurt.  Lupi was somewhat jealous of the ferrets and
expected to be included in any outing that involved them.

Lupi once made a post to the FML.  From FML Issue number: 1242, 1 Jul 1995:

> Date:    Fri, 30 Jun 1995 14:45:11 -0400
> From:    Clare Sebok <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: To Hazel, Jake, and Spenser,
>
>My name is Lupi, and I know how to write, too.  I live with 2 humans and 4
>ferrets.  It sounds like you guys don't know about the ferrets' food, so I
>will tell you.  Their food is great!  It tastes much better than dog food,
>but for some reason Mom and Dad don't put any of it in my dish.  I will
>give you some tips on how to get the ferrets' food and snacks.
>
>First, you have to pay attention at all times.  Listen carefully, even when
>you're dozing off.  Here's what to listen for:
>
>         1.  raisin box rattling
>         2.  cellophane rustling
>         3.  a piece of food hitting the floor
>         4.  humans talking to the ferrets
>
>Whenever you hear any of these sounds, get up and check immediately.  Grab
>whatever is on the floor.  Check the cage to see if any food pieces are
>near the edge.  You can reach them with your tongue.  If Mom and Dad are
>giving the ferrets raisins or Ferret-bites or Cheerios, look up with a sad
>look in your eyes.  They will give you one, too.
>
>The best way to get LOTS of ferret food is when the cage door is left open
>(I don't think the humans do this on purpose).  Whenever the ferrets are
>let out of the cage, wait until all the humans have gone away.  You don't
>want them to catch you, or they will stop you.  Then go check the cage
>door.  If it's a lucky day, the door will be open!  Squeeze through as far
>as you can go.  There will be lots of food in little bowls.  Some will be
>scattered on the floor.  Eat all of this quickly before the humans come
>back.  It's great food.  I know you'll love it.
>
> From
> Lupi

A photo of Lupi can be seen at
        http://www.astro.umd.edu/~wls/images/lupiXmas95/

Some people debate whether ferrets or dogs make better pets.  For us they
each fill a different niche; both are needed.  Lupi's passing has left an
enormous void.

Clare and Bill Sebok

Buttercup, Bridgett, Jasmine, Bonnie, and Charlie

In loving memory of Ben, Jerry, and Lupi