From:
Public Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 23:22:06 -0400
Hi All,
I have been getting numerous requests for an update on Sterling-- so here
goes.......

Well he is a tough nut to crack, so frail , so thin and so lost.  We have
been working with him diligently for going on 3 weeks.  Tonight I spent 2
hours sitting on the floor.  I have found in the past day IF I sit in his
presence, he will attempt to eat junk food kibble.  Shelter Dad found this
as well yesterday.  He fights soup, his back is full of needle holes from
sub q-s, receives amoxy 2 times daily and sucralfate suspension 4-5 times
a day-- still he was not doing well.  His nose leather is somewhat
jaundices-- though some days tends more to the pink side-- I was noticing
how his haunches are still non existent -- a fur covered skeleton...

tonight I found him up and walking about-- he has sole occupancy of the
small shelter treatment room away form the bustle of the main room and
cages

I sat in front of him on the floor-- 4 ft away-- he walked up to the food
dish and ate 2 kibbles in front of me.  Then I talked to him -- he took
stash of kibble and hid it in the empty wastebasket lying on its side, then
he took 2 kibbles and placed them in the plastic cheese house.... he got
tired , staggered then finally made it back to the food dish took another
kibble ate it and sipped water.

His silver is starting to turn from washed out light to heavy around his
brow.  Also for the first time today his white face has little black
smudges under the eyes.  The face itself is taking on a nice shape-- fuller
like a ferret head!  He isn't gaining in bulk yet, but I think -- barring
any further trauma he is gaining.

We hope to get him built up for blood work -- then on to a barium x-ray as
I suspect a hair ball....

yesterday I almost wrote him off -- today, after he was done playing "store
the kibbles" I waved my fingers in front of him-- he walked over to me-- I
picked him up and told him he was a handsome boy-- he gave me one kiss on
the nose-- then a shower of them.  I hope he has finally reached the will
to fight-- oh I do hope so...

I have a .jpg file pic of him for those who want to see it-- it isn't the
best my first time with the shelter camera -- but I will be updating him
in the future as he gains.  just email at the above address I will send
it along.

alicia
for Sterling and the other ferrets at
Ferret Wise