From:
Elisa Mohn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:31:19 -0400
Dear "Mommy",

I don't think that you are going to like my answer at all - but I will
tell you anyway...

Sometimes everyone wants something that they can have but shouldn't.
Diabetics for instance really would love to have and could choose to
have a candy bar - but they shouldn't...

Ok - so your situation is not quite that drastic - or is it?  Is it
really fair for you to dump (for lack of a better word) your 2 ferrets
and the challenges and care requirements they come with on your
parents/grandparents?  The answer to that one is Yes - but only because
they have agreed to take on your 2 ferrets (which was very nice of them
considering they surely didn't have to do even that).  It would almost be
taking advantage of a wonderful favor if you went ahead and bought 2 more
and then dumped them on your parents also...especially since they have
not agreed to take on the responsibility of 4 ferrets....that's a lot of
maintance!  Not to mention a lot of expenses!!!  Did you know that takeing
2 ferrets to the vet for a check up and to get 1 vaccine each costs about
$100?  Now add monthly litter cost, food cost, heartworm medication and all
the time (people's time is worth something) it takes to keep up with these
wonderful weasels.  That's a lot!  Then times that number by two and add
the cost of adrenal cancer care and you've got yourself a finacial mess and
a lot of stress!  Especially if the little weasels are not yours to begin
with (as it would be in your parents case).

I really hate to be so cut and dry about the whole thing - but when it
comes down to it - that's what it is.  And more importantly are your busy
parents going to be able to give your little ones the quality of care that
you do?  (Especially if they had to care for 4?) The other question you may
want to ask yourself is - would this be fair to your ferrets?  Or to your
parents?

It's really easy to get wrapped up in "ferret math"...but for those of
us with jobs, school/college, and lives we have to take into consideration
our wants verses the needs of our ferrets and the responsiblities and
obligations they come with.  Take it from me - I go to the University of
Florida...college isn't easy and you sure aren't rich while you are in
school.  So, unless you intend to pay your parents for the maintanace of
all of your pets (that you will not be there for), or unless you intend
to be there to clean their cages and to love them and care for them all
of the time...you probably should not get another 2 ferrets.  If you look
at it that way - it really is not a hard decision.

I don't mean to be so down on you - it's really hard to make responsible
choices.  I'm just glad you asked for FMLers opinions first (although
they may not be what you had in mind). :)  I hope that you make the right
decision.  Good luck in college when you do go.

-Elisa (Fuzzit and Tubby)