From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:07:41 -0400
Yes, ferrets can have chemo for some types of cancer, and do so rather
often.  Check in the back issues of the FML using the search feature and
you'll read of multiple cases.  The first that I ever read about working
for full cure rather than for just slowing the growths ( a common result)
was Katie (not Kathy who is a different person) Fritz' Bandit.  (That
should be somewhere in the 8 to 10 years ago range if my recollections are
accurate.)  The Jeglum protocol at the time for cats was used with size
taken into account with 3 year old Bandit for his lymphoma.  Using pred
for slowing growths had already been done before then as with our Fritter.
Bandit lived to be something like 8 years old.  Fritter got something like
8 months from chemo and later Hjalmar got something like 14.  Neither was
young, unlike Bandit who was in his prime.  The first case of which I have
read in which it made any difference in JL (though it did not sure it given
that it had already reached neurological tissue) was a ferret Cindy Sooy
had and that was written up in the American Ferret Report from the American
Ferret Association.

Ed, the sound of that alarm may be painful to her.  When I was a child and
a pre-teen I actually had unusually good hearing both in terms of range
and softness (though a touch fuzzy on the precision part) and some of the
buzzing alarms were quite painful for me (great way to start a day really
grumpy -- with pain waking you).  Think you should invest in a different
alarm; it's cheaper than hearing tests.  :-) I have a great battery one
with a rooster that I got through Light House, and have read ads for a
range of sounds.  Loads of people HATE buzzers so quite a variety is
available.  Buzzers are so late 50s-early 60s.  ;-) :-)