Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 01:36:42 -0800
Fortuitous indeed - tonights presentation of mustelid related lore on
PBS Channel 9 TV. Just yesterday I spoke to that subject for a lady
who lost her 3 ferrets to disease and she was forlorn. I suggested she
consider getting a pet skunk during her period of mourning. Hope she
does, 'cause there's a few available.

I hope some members of the list saw the program.and saw how the skunk
compares to the ferret in similar and different ways. I learned that
skunks are a lot faster afoot than I heretofor experienced with our
skunks. Walking a harnessed and leashed skunk down the street is indeed
a traffic stopper, but that skunk wanted to check out everything it
came across, even cracks in the sidewalk The ferret walk was altogether
different in that the ferret pulled most every which way just to get
someplace other than were it was.

And a new development in the taxonomic classification of the skunk that
has been discovered in the structure of the skunk's genetic makeup.
Apparently, the skunk will no longer be classified as a mustelid, as
is the ferret, but will be classified as a subdivision of its Genus,
Mephitis, The new name I didn't get from the broadcast. However the new
name is quite similar to the Genus name, Mephitis. I hope I got that
right. If not, please somebody correct me.

The ferret can maintain a vertical attitude quite easily, standing on
its two rear paws and using its tail for some little support like a
kangaroo. What the ferret can't do very well, if at all, is attain a
vertical attitude whilst standing on it forepaws, such as the skunk
can do with amazing agility.

You may already be aware, but an upright skunk who is looking directly
ahead and at you can jet spray you accurately, depending upon range. I
always thought the skunk's rear end had to be pointed in your direction
in order for you to get jet sprayed. No, that's not always the case, as
was pointed out in that most enjoyable program.

Watch out for that black and white kitty in the forest, boys and girls.

Edward Lipinski