From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 08:12:11 -0500
>From:    Peter Flanagan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Medical Opinions.......
>Amoxi-drops.  For the passed few weeks now, she has been very lethargic
>and shakes quite a bit.  She will play for a few minutes and then crash
>out on a blanket or anywhere quiet when she's outside her cage.

Winnie sounds hypoglycemic to me.  Definitely have her blood glucose
checked, and it's best to do so after a 3.5 to 4 hour fast, but no more
than that!  How's she eating?  If she's not eating normally, some
supplemental feeding of a high protein meal will help her body regulate her
blood sugar if she is indeed hypoglycemic.  Don't look for that to give her
tons of new energy, but it would make her feel better.  Probably stop or
lessen the shakes too.

You might want to stop by the adrenal/insulinoma web site (see my
signature) for more info on Insulinoma, which is usually the cause of
hypoglycemia, and symptoms to look for, proper diet, etc.

Don't panic until you get the blood work done.  Her blood glucose should
be between 90-125 mg/dL and ideally, it should be well over 90.  And don't
panic even if she is hypoglycemic.  There are a couple ways to medically
treat the condition, from surgery to drugs and proper diet.

>He suggested I get blood work done on her Monday to rule out anything
>else.  I have to wait because he said Winnie would have to be anesthatised
>for the venipuncture, which is either gotten from her External Jugular
>Vein or a vein at the base of her tail!!!!  Who knew?

Never seen one take it from the tail area, but yes, they often have to make
them at least woozy (what else would you make a woozle!) to get blood out
of their neck.  I know some vets can get it from their front leg for just a
blood glucose check where only a drop is needed.  It's difficult to get
more than that from that area with a squirming ferret, but I've seen 'em do
it and without anesthesia.

And the disclaimer... I'm not a vet or qualified medical expert in any way
shape or form and the above is simply my opinion based on my personal
experiences.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our shelter's web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC