From:
Laura Bosch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:32:22 -0400
Hi, everyone!

This may be something that's been discussed endlessly on the list--I've been
off the list for a couple of years and have just joined up again.  Please
send any replies directly to me.

Until a few days ago, our ferret family consisted of one ferret, Newton,
who's less than a year old and is used to cats only.  Then we decided to
add Bob, who's about two years old and has lived with other ferrets before.
Newton is absolutely terrified of Bob, and screams and chatters if Bob even
looks his way.  Bob's goal is to chase Newton down and beat him up.  So I
need some ideas on how to get them acting like buddies before the neighbors
call the police and tell them we're doing live animal sacrifices in our
home.  I've tried the usual stuff like Bitter Apple on the coat, Ferretone
on the coat, bathing with perfumed shampoo, vanilla extract under the nose,
switching bedding, cages next to each other, etc.  At this point, Newton
cowers and hides under the bed until Bob flushes him out and chases him.
Bob is very passive and laid back but has bitten Newton through the skin
several times, and that can't continue.

So if you have any ideas, please let me know.  I've always had ferrets who
just sniff the new arrival and then curl up in the hammock together, and
I've run out of ideas.  Thanks!

Laura