From:
"C.J. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:44:34 -0800
I'm not sure on how to even start this post.  There is so much to say,
but i am just going to lay down the basics of what is happening and not
go into to much of the gory details.  I am going to start by giving a
little history of 24K Ferret.  I started rescuing ferrets late 1997.  It
stared with 4 and grew, each year we have taken in over 250 ferrets per
year, most years close to 400 ferrets.  I have tried to do most of the
care and expenses on my own, and have had the some of the best volunteers
and supporters anyone could ask for.  i'm thankful to everyone here that
has helped our shelter in the past, expesally SOS, IFC, and Ferrets
Magazine.

This year things have changed, I have lost and will be losiing some of
most precious volunteers, my driver is gone, many foster parents have
moved.  I'll also be losing my main fundraiser person, my web person,
more foster parents, and general shelter volunteers.  Many are moving or
had personal issues which they need to give their attention to.  This has
left the shelter in a bad spot, there are just not enough people who can
or will help the shelter in Las Vegas.  I have found all the good ones
and its still not enough to run a large shelter.  The other thing is I
have backed off asking for help for vet bills etc because of the shelter
bashing I had seen on the list, and also seeing other shelters in need I
didn't want to ask for help here.

I guess last but not least, I will be moving out of state after the
first of the year.  Long story short, i reunited with someone from 30
years ago and we are going to be starting a new life together.  He
doesn't care if I have all the ferrets, he is a great animal lover.

Bottom line is the shelter is closing its doors to taking in anymore
ferrets.  We have not been taking but just a few California rescues in
the last few months.  There are aprox 50 ferrets left at the shelter, I
have not had this small amount of ferrets since it first started.

Here lies the problem, i need to find homes for some of the shelter
ferrets that are still here.  I can't afford the cost of their care,
with no adoptable ferrets comming in and no fundraising going on, it
has become a hardship to feed and pay for medical care of these ferrets.
I will take any ferrets remaining when i move but I need to place as
many as as soon as i can.  But again i can only take what I can fit into
my SUV.

I will be taking at least 15 ferrets with me, that leaves about 35
needing homes.  Most of these ferrets are older ferrets, either adrenal
or insulanoma, some are healthy but nippers.

So now i am asking for help in a few ways,

1) If anyone can take in a ferret or two give them a home where they can
get the love and care they deserve.  They are all so deserving, some are
singles, mostly pairs and a few groups of 3 and 4 ferrets.

2) Help with our vet bill, it is way over $1,000 and I don't want to
leave with a balance if it can be helped.

3) We need basic supplies, food, litter, duck soup supplies.

I didn't put any ferrets on the giving tree this year, with everything
going on it just didn't happen.

This is probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do, after 8 plus
years of being a ferret shelter it is comming to an end, I feel like a
quitter but I have to do it.  Please no flames, if you can help great,
if not I understand.

There is so much more i would like to say but those are the basics.  Its
been a hard year, very hard.  Losing my Meadow Soprano was something I
will never recover from, every day is empty with out her.  you guys
have been the best, I'm so glad you are all here for the ferrets.

Please if anyone can help the ferrets and the closing of the shelter
please contact me privately at [log in to unmask], or call at
702-876-8224.

Please post this to any lists that maybe able to help or e mail to anyone
that maybe able to help.

i'm sorry if this post seems confusing, but at this point this is the
hardest thing I have ever had to do, this shelter has been my life for
almost 9 years.  i will always have ferrets and probably only have the
ones that really need homes, the less adoptable ones.  And if all goes
as planned I'll still be close enough to California to help out if
needed, but I have Vegas folks that are willing to pick up the Cali
rescues for now.

Thanks again,
CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue And Shelter