From:
Dee Vecchione <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 08:35:02 -0500
Hi Christy,

I know what a hard decision that is to make.  I've been there 5 times in
the past year and a half.  The most important thing to ask yourself, is
does he still have quality of life?  Does he still like to wander around
and show an interest in things.  Is he willingly eating from the syringe
or is it a battle each time?  Does he still like his toys?  Does he
appear to be in any pain?  Has he always been an ankle biter or is this
a new behavior?

If he is still acting fairly normally, just slowing down because of his
age, I wouldn't make that decision just yet.  The loss of weight could be
loss of muscle mass from the adrenal or problems with absorption of
nutrients in the intestines.  The runny stool could be inflammatory bowel
disease or it could be from the soup.  You might want to make a duck soup
out of Science Diet A/D and turkey baby food.  You'll get the most bang
for your buck in terms of nutrition and ease of digestion, that way.

I can just feel when my animals are ready to go.  It's a look in their
eyes or in the symptoms that they are presenting.  I think you have to
trust your heart to know when it's time.  I think most animal lovers have
this gift.  Trust in yourself that you will just know.  You will truly
feel it in your heart.

I know some people like to "spice" up a blind ferret's life a bit by
putting some different "natural" scents around.  Like cinnamon or sage,
lavender or peppermint.  Don't use artificial perfumes or stuff.  Those
wouldn't be good for him to inhale.  Right, Sukie?  Perhaps you could
offer some more advise on this.

Good luck with your little guy.  I hope this helps you a bit.  You are so
lucky to have had 8.5 years with him, though.  I've only had one make it
as far as 7.5 years of age.  It's really heartbreaking that they don't
live longer.

Hugs,
Dodie in NJ