From:
Dee Vecchione <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:34:19 -0500
Hello FMLers,

It's been a while since I last posted.  When you have three senior
ferrets, time is the enemy, so you try to spend less time on the computer
reading about ferrets, and more time with the ones that you have.

As of late Saturday night, I am down to only two ferrets.  Molly was
a month shy of 7 years old.  She had surgery in June for adrenal &
insulinoma.  My vet found liver cysts, removed one lobe and a cluster the
size of a walnut.  She removed one insulinoma, but she was afraid to keep
her under any longer in order to get the adrenal.  Molly recovered well
from the surgery, and enjoyed renewed vigor and quality of life.  She
never responded to Lupron, though, so her fur continued to thin.  About
three weeks ago, she began vomiting.  My friend, Judith White sent her
Reiki and that seemed to help a lot.  She never vomited after that.  We
also started Pepto before meals and that helped with the nausea, too.
All was well again, until last Friday night, when the nausea returned and
so did the vomiting.  Judith sent Reiki again and the vomiting stopped.
Saturday afternoon, she was very nauseous and had a really hard time
swallowing the Pepto.  She was frothing at the mouth and drooling and
kind of spacey.  I swung into gear with the insulinoma protocols, giving
25 ml of Dextrose, a little more Orapred, and fed her again.  She would
only eat from my finger and she used to gulp her soup.  Nothing was
working.  She was still drooling incessantly, still acting spacey, and
then she started stretching her head back so she was staring at the
ceiling.  I believe it might be called posturing and is consistent
with neurological problems.  We tried more Dextrose and a shot of
Dexamethasone, but she deteriorated further until drool was just
streaming down the sides of her neck, she laid with her head and neck
along her back and began seizuring.  This was definitely not low blood
sugar.  It was neurological.  I feel that her liver and possibly even her
kidneys failed, since 50 ml's went in and not much came out.  Toxins
probably accumulated in her blood and caused her brain to swell, ie
encephalitis, resulting in the neurological symptoms and seizures.  At
11:45 PM we helped her cross to the Bridge.  I swear, this never gets
any easier.

I feel like these animals are being punished by God for something.  None
of my kids has ever had a peaceful passing.  Their lives all end with
terrible suffering.  It is so sad to see animals that embrace life as
ferrets do, have those lives end in these horrible scenarios.  It is
truly heartbreaking.

Molly was very special to me.  She was my first kit.  We had an
especially close bond.  My heart is broken, but I take consolation in the
fact that she is at peace and in a far better place.  I had Lorelei Hunt,
the animal communicator (www.loreleihunt.com), speak to her last evening
for me.  Molly said she was fine.  She was with a dark ferret with a pink
nose(Teddy) and another whose name sounded like Charlie to Lorelei.  I
believe that was Kelsey, who passed in 1998.  She was also with many
others.  She said something had "broken" in her belly and she was in
pain near the end and needed help to pass from her body.  She was very
grateful for it.  She said she had forgotten how good it felt to be young
and healthy again.  She was very excited about where she was and promised
to show me in my dreams.  I hope she does and I hope I can remember it.

Fozzie and Angel are both 6 1/2 now and have cardiomyopathy.  They are
both on Lasix and CoQ10 and we just came from the vet where they had
blood work done.  I wanted to check their kidney and liver functions
prior to starting them on Enalapril (Enacard).  I'm glad I did.  We might
be able to help Angel with it, but Fozzie's albumin, globulin, BUN,
creatine and total protein are all high and his total bili is really
high.  Now, I'd damned if I do because of his liver and kidneys, and
damned if I don't because of his heart.  I had his bloodwork done at
my local vet, so I'm still waiting to talk to my ferret vet about his
results.  I guess we just have to decide if he'll get enough quality of
life from the enalapril to risk organ failure, or if we should just let
nature take its' course.

I just want to thank Judith White for her friendship and for the Reiki
she sent Molly.  It is so nice to have a friend that you can confide in
about the spiritual side of things.  I truly feel that the Reiki helped
Molly and I know it helped me to sleep really well the following night,
when she sent it to me.  I am also more at peace with Molly's passing
than I have been with the others.  Maybe it was the Reiki, maybe what
I've learned from the Pet Psychic, Lorelei Hunt and John Edward or maybe
a combination of all them.

If you have ferrets that are hurting or not feeling well, you should
give Judith a try.  Her website is http://www.reiki4healing.com/.

If you want to communicate with your ferret for a behavioral problem,
a health concern, or just because, then please give Lorelei a try.
She is a really warm and compassionate person.  Her website again is
www.loreleihunt.com.  I am a big fan of both of these ladies.

There is a lot to this world that the majority of us just are not attuned
to.  These ladies possess a very special talent and I for one will seek
them out whenever I need a little extra help.

Now go play with those fuzzies!

Warm ferret hugs,
Dodie in NJ