From:
Aarrow-Ranch Aviation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 13:48:11 -0400
Most ferrets are not totally comfortable with nail trimming. I had to
stop chewing their nails back and resort to a nail clipper made for
little toes and their nails. I suppose the change in my diet will be
good in time.

Peekaboo and Pester had not had a nail trim since I got them nearly
two years ago so today they got one.

Peekaboo was not that happy about it but after some wrestling I managed
to get almost all of the front feet done. She seemed to be none the
worse from wear. Pester was about the same but she calmed down after
I started realizing I was not trimming her legs back.

Kodo was the best. His nails grew fast and furious so they needed to
be trimmed often. The very first time when I put him on the floor he
kind of noticed his feet were very different. He spent quite some time
contemplating it and must have put two and two together where he didn't
offer much resistance ever again. His nails grew so big that he had to
lean WAY back where the nails would push his toes back so that he was
uncomfortable sitting or even walking.

After a couple trims the center vein retracted so I could cut closer to
the quick. This gave Kodo a far better sitting posture and his walk was
far improved. He was so very good about nail trimming sitting still and
letting me take each paw one at a time to do the deed. Such a great guy
he was. He was a star, but they all were stars with each having
different personalities and qualities.

Kodo would sleep on my chest when I watched TV. I loved that. No ferret
ever did that since.

Byte-me would seek me out when I would set her free to roam in the
yard. She would explore some but would work hard to find me being bad
sighted and would claw her way up my pant leg to where I would take her
in my arms. She then would sit still and go for the ride as long as I
would hold her. Sometimes I would just take her in my arms for a walk
down in the woods, she would sit in my arms looking about and sniffing
but never squirmed once and seemed to really enjoy the outing. I miss
that dearly too.

Ferrets are such different animals. Am so glad I took the time and
energy to learn so much about them and to have had so many stay with
me. Over the years two of mine I bought at a store, Byte-me and
Nibble-Ed. But all the rest are those I either rescued myself or older
ones from a shelter that no one wanted. All were the bestest little
animals ever, I miss each and every one albeit some more than others.
Yup, I had favorites. As you know Byte-me will always be my most
favoritest little animal ever.

Gordon, Peekaboo and Pester

Aarrow-Ranch Aviation
Mechanicsville, Virginia, 23111