From:
Jim Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 22:36:19 -0400
Hello, Anonymous,

        Your ferret is quite easily capable of crushing and/or tearing any
part of the average rabbit.  I can't say whether your carpet shark will
choose to exercise this power, but the potential is there, nonetheless.

I tried to rescue a *most* intractable ferret a few years ago.  This jill
may've weighed 1.5 pounds soaking wet, but once when I tried to feed her
without gloves on (testing the trust I'd been trying for WEEKS to build up)
she crawled over the bowl of food and nailed my thumb with all her might and
speed.  Her lower fang punched into the tip of my thumb up to the gumline,
and, to my surprise, her top fang, almost as quickly, penetrated my thumb
*nail*!!  Now, I have *very* tough fingernails.  I've lifted steel plates
from flat on concrete floors with just my fingernails.  This ferret had some
*strong* jaws!!  First, I *didn't* try to jerk back.  The only thing I could
do to get her to release my thumb was to bite her head (I didn't bind her
bottom jaw) so hard something popped (I think it was my TMJ) before she
relented!  To make a long story short (Too late!), I finally had to have her
put down, just to protect the rest of the household.

The only point is, your ferret's primal instinct may very well cause it to
see the rabbit as food.  Of course, another primal instinct could just as
easily cause it to see the rabbit as a big, soft, self-powered Ferret Toy,
so you'll just have to make up your own mind.  I just wanted you to know a
little more about the capabilities of these lovable little fuzzballs.

Hugs and ferret-kisses to all.

Jimbo...
The Family:
Bonnie: "There's a dance or two in the old gal yet, tojours gai, tojours gai!"
Peeper: What a noise for a name!  Perfect Professional Pet.  I'll miss you,
girl.
Ferret GT: The Geriatric Terrorist, Fast and Sporty with "four-on-the-floor"!
Cody: Ferret Aviator and bon vivant, leaping into the void for fun.
Birch: "Handsome Handful of Dancin' White Devil at your Service!"
Frank: "I Gotta nose like a possum but I'm 100% Lovable Ferret Boy!"
Tyler: "Who are all these short, fuzzy people?  They keep biting me!"
P-Nut & Jimbo: The Cooler and the Bouncer