From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 19:48:47 -0600
My vet suggested that before I get too worried about the possibility of
Angel (deaf Waardenburg's syndrome blaze white silver mitt albino
red-eyed ferret -- go figure -- who LOVES to eat and LOVES raisins and
waddles a whole bunch when she roams around the house) having insulinoma,
I should just make her fast for four hours and see if she's at all tired
or listless or anything. So one night, I quarantined her in another cozy
bedroom where she loves to sleep anyway with no food, just water. There
was absolutely nothing wrong with her -- she seemed unfazed by the whole
thing.

The only symptom I've seen is that a couple of times she's been so deeply
asleep that she's just limp when I pick her up. Her back legs have always
been wobbly, but I've attributed that to the fact that she's just
generally a little clumsy and because she eats so much, she's a tad
overweight. She's also really cuddly and cute and I don't understand
how her previous owner concluded that she was a hopeless biter because
she never bites me. I guess I thumped her on the nose a couple of times
when I first got her and that was all it took. And sometimes, I could swear
she hears me, probably because she feels vibrations or reads the expression
in my face or sees a light go on in another room.

So unless Dr. Williams or some other experienced readers think it's still
highly advisable, I'm not planning on rushing Angel to the vet for a
blood test.

To the person who quoted Michael Shaara: "Killer Angels" is an excellent
book. The movie's excellent, too ("Gettysburg").

Linda, Espie (Mom, were ferrets legal in the U.S. during the Civil War?),
        Frankie (what, you want me to come to YOU for a raisin?),
        Lucky Charminator (raisins are boring; I think I'll just rearrange
        the kitchen cabinets instead); and Angel (squeeeeeal -- Mom,
        please detach Lucky Charminator's teeth from my skin)