Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 02:26:45 EDT
Hi everyone,

I need some help here!  I just adopted two 5 year old ferrets from a couple
yesterday...We drove a total of 950 miles to give them a good
home...needless to say, I'm dedicated!  I noticed right after we took them
and we were in our hotel room...that MOST OF THEIR FRONT CLAWS ARE MISSING!
And, the few ones they do have are not normal...they look like yellow
pieces of rice and they are curled upward.  I can tell that these few claws
that they have have been trimmed...they are not sharp.  To be honest, I've
never seen anything like it.  The claws on their hind paws look completely
normal...its just the front ones...or lack thereof.  Each of the two
ferrets have maybe 3-4 claws left on both front paws.  And one of the
ferrets has two claws growing from where there should be only one.  I wish
I could draw a picture of this for all of you.  There is no "quick," they
have nubs and the nubs with a "claw," literally look like a piece of yellow
rice stuck on the nubs.  There is no curvature of the nail at all, no
apparent nail bed.  They do not appear to be in pain, but sheesh!  I feel
so bad for them!

I have sent an email to the former owners and have not given them a chance to
explain yet...I'm impatient...I want to share this with all of you too...to
get your input.  Please let me know what you come up with...so far the only
things I can think of is that the claws were pulled out by the owners:( or
the ferrets themselves...maybe a fungus...I don't know.

Thank you for your help,
Catherine and the furry 5 + the 2 that need Lee Press On's