Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 21:41:43 -0600
I made my second batch of gravy the way Gina Hart said to try, and it was
wonderful!  She suggested putting the roaster in a crockpot (I had the
butcher chop it up again with his meat saw first; a different butcher on
duty; pieces were not neatly cubed up as in last batch, but that nasty
part was done).  I soaked it all first in salt water, as I had learned on
60 Minutes that this is the only sure way of getting rid of all those
horrendous cooties that come with raw chicken.  I rinsed it all in a
colander , and into the crockpot it went, along with the extra cup of fat
trimmings I had.  Gina said to just put enough water in to cover..this
worked perfectly for the next part with the blender.

I cooked it for about five hours at medium, then into the blender it went
in sections.  (about a fourth at a time, with the yummy broth from the
crockpot.) Threw in the eggshells and the cup of kibble (I snuck in the
Totally Ferret, as he won't try it in a bowl).  Whirled it all up according
to directions.  It was totally smooth and much better than my first batch
which we ground up with the grinder first.  That method was twice as yukky
as this way of Gina's.  After we whirled it, I added the other things on
the list, and voila!  Super Gravy!  Poured it into the ice cube trays
again, and into the freezer.  Fang seemed to like this batch better, as it
was really smooth like a good glass of Bailey's.  yummmmmm.

I did cut down on the Ferretvite (used about one fifth of the tube) due to
insulinoma.  Anybody out there that is as intimidated as I was should try
this method.  Those of you who have been grinding away, I think you would
really like this method.

An interesting side note: the butcher's eyebrow went up as he listened to
my directions of leaving in all the bones, inners, and skin.  I said it was
for an animal, and he asked right away if it was for a ferret!  Apparently
his brother in Ca Ca land does this for his ferrets.  So if anybody out
there in Calif. has a brother working at City Market as a butcher in
Montrose, he was my man!

Love to all the fuzzies,
Lizzi and not lonely Fang