From:
Nancy Herring <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2005 12:45:30 -0600
>Coming from Australia to be at the Symposium is very exciting for me,
>but I have a question...
>
>So how do the locals pronounce St Louis?

Answer: In 1907 there was a world's fair in St. Louis.  Some of the
buildings still stand in Forest Park.  You will probably see some of
them, like the outdoor flight cage, if you go on the zoo trip with Bob C.
An old, old song that I learned as a kid went: "Meet me in St. Loo-ee,
Loo-ee, met me at the fair..."  Otherwise, I grew up pronouncing it St.
Loo-iss.

I hope that you enjoy your visit there.

Nancy