From:
Nancy Herring <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2005 10:32:11 -0600
>All the people from Missouri that I know say "Saint Loo-iss." Living in
>Missouri, I know the state is pronounced "Misery," as in "I live in a
>State of Misery."

Now Bob, I know that you don't always live in misery!

When my mom was a kid growing up in Des Peres, Missouri (really a suburb
of St. Louis) they used to say they "lived in despair in the state of
misery" so that is a way old joke!  But that is NOT the correct way to
pronounce Missouri.  I was going to include the correct way to pronounce
Missouri until I realized my keyboard is deficient in phonetic markings.
Without phonetic markings, I guess you would write it "Mi zur e" --short
i as in "it" and long e as in "e."

Nancy