From:
Lise O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:18:02 -0700
Hello all!

For the last two years, I have promised myself I would get a ferret
tatoo...but had to lose the weight first.  Guess what?  "Taint happened
yet..but will.

My understanding is if a tatoo artist is worth his or her salt, he/she will
be able to draw the ferret for you, not just "copy" it onto your skin.  If
I was on speaking terms with my bratty younger sister, I could find out
who she uses in the L.A. area (to last date, she had four).  When I went
to visit her in 1994, I got my fish tatoo.  There are two "Sunset Tatoo"
parlors: one in Hollywood and one in the Valley.  I went to the one in the
Valley (near Burbank).  This guy "Silk" did my tatoo.  He did the copy
version, so I am unawares if he can actually draw a picture...you can ask.

I get around quite a bit...I've also lived in Houston.  There is a guy
(I believe his name is Mark/Marc) who works at "Celtic" on Richmond near
Sheppard.  I have not used him but I have seen his work.  There was a woman
who worked there who re-pierced my ears who had tatoos of various wild cats
done by this person.  The most amazing thing I have seen.  They eyes of
these cats looked incredibly realistic...I swear I thought they were
looking at me!

When you go to a Tatoo parlor ask to see their portfolio.  If they invite
you to look on the walls and do not have a portfolio...I was told they are
not really all that good.  I mean, you'll get a nice tatoo, but...Those who
can actually draw the tatoo and not copy it are the artists.  Ask around.
Talk to anyone who has had a tatoo.  Talk to biker guys/gals.  When I get
my ferret tatoo, I plan on taking color photos of my guys in to help the
artist and I pick which would be the best.

Also, as everyone (hopefully, everyone) well knows, make certain the needle
is steril.  It must come from a sealed pkg.  The person must wear gloves.
And if the person working on you must, say, answer the phone, then he/or
she must change the gloves.  I learned this from "Silk".  (There was one
case of Aids from a Tatoo parlor in Houston because the store used
"unclean" needles...just be careful and aware).

Okay, this one is to BIG: sometime ago, you had printed up basic food
requirement for fuzzies.  Would it be possible to do so again, but on
an individual fml such as how the Shelter Lists come out each year.  In
addition to the food requirements, could there also be different and
various "Chicken gravey's" and "duck soups", etc....sort of like an online
"Cook Book"?  I know this would end up being a lot of work, but it would
be helpful.

[Moderator's note: I don't remember sending out a special nutrition issue,
though I did collect a bunch of nutrition posts and make them available on
the server for the asking.  (Anyone can ask [log in to unmask] to
SEND DIET POSTS FERRET ) -- is that the summary which you seek?

A future enhancement to the list is to have a short "tip of the day" at the
start of each issue.  I will be sure to include notice of some of the best
archived files in those tips once I set it up.  BIG]

To the person I emailed regarding inquiring information on the
communicator, pls email me back when you get the time as I am truely
curious.

I had sent in a post requesting advise on how to rid myself and my fuzzies
from freeloading, food stealing ants.  I had wonderful replies (peppermint
oil, babypowder, chalk and, for cabinets, unpeeled fresh garlic).  I was
also given a can of "Victors Nonpoisonous Ant Spray" which smells like
peppermint.  Seems to work.  I have to use it every four days, but so far
so good.  I will get the peppermint oil this weekend, for inside the
cage...Thank you all very much for your wonderful advise.

To the story: When I sprayed the cage area, I decided it would be fun to
take all five fuzzies to the park.  I put on harnesses and leashes, put
theminto the carrier for the ride over.  After untangling the leashes, I
began walking my guys.  Immediately, they did the "Ma!  I don't wanna
walk...I'm too tired" bit.  So I sat on the grass.  The lazy critters
climbed into my lap and went to sleep.  Can you believe that?!  Oh, and
of course, when it was time to get back into the car for the ride home,
they wanted to go play.  Typical kids.

Just before I left, a lady walked over to me to ask questions about my
guys (actually, I was quite surprised nobody else did while we were in the
park).  We talked for a goodly while 20 minutes or more.  Just as she left
I gave her a MetroFerret business card and asked her to visit the site (as
I have absolutely no shame when it comes to ferrets).

Yesterday was a good "ferret day"....for many reasons.

=====
Regards,
Lise and the fuzzies: Domi, Nonnie, Stacia, Cooper, and Dante
pls visit: www.metroferret.org