Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 04:39:02 EDT
I just want to quickly thank everyone who sent condolences when my Jenna
passed away June 7th.  We received many emails and cards.  I plan to
write to everyone individually very soon.  Our computer was hit with the
Klez Worm Virus and was down for a while as it continued to send infected
emails from one of my email addresses (AOL) to my other one (hotmail).
What a mess!  It is finally cleared up, and I don't think I lost any
emails or cards we received, so I will be able to thank you all
personally.

My remaining ferret, Amber, is adjusting to the loss of Jenna.  Her
behavior is changing.  She doesn't sleep in the spot her and Jenna always
slept in.  She won't even go near it (it's one of those carpeted cat
scratching thingies with holes a cat - or ferret - can go in and out of).
She now sleeps under the head of our bed.  I put a bath sheet and an old
t-shirt under there as she was just sleeping on the carpet, and she likes
that.  She is also using the cat's litter box 100% of the time she is out
of the cage.  She never used it before, and always went in the kitchen or
living room corners.  She's also become super cuddly.  She never wanted to
be held before.  She gives me kisses until my lips or cheek is practically
raw.  She never could be bothered with kisses before - Jenna was the kissy
one.  She would give a quick kiss, then NEED to be put down because she
had places to go and silverware to hide.  I'm not quite sure what all this
behavior modification is all about.  I'm almost wondering if I should
worry.  She seems fine, and still is playful.  She runs up to me and tags
my ankle and runs away backwards watching to see if I will chase her.
When I do, she runs through the dryer vent tubing and waits for me to roll
her around in it.  She loves that.

We did noticed that her hair is thinning on the tip of her tail.  I also
found a tiny lump on her back 4 days ago.  There was a very short black
hair stuck in it (only black hair in the area - all the fur is white/cream
and long) that I took out with tweezers, but it hasn't made a difference.
I think a trip to the vet is in her near future as I have no idea what
the lump is or if I need to be concerned.  I just want her to continue to
be a part of our lives for a long time, but I worry because she will be 6
either the last part of August or beginning of September.  Jenna was only
4 years, 9 months, and our other ferret, Rascal (died 6/99) wasn't even 3
yet when he died (mysteriously in his sleep - showed no signs of illness
whatsoever, but we unfortunately weren't educated enough to realize we
could have gotten a necropsy done on him).

Well, again, I want to thank those who took the time to write or send
cards, and I hope to have written to you all personally by the end of
the week.

Kelly and Tim White
Southampton, Massachusetts